28 Nov Prime Health Foundation Grants $15,000 to the YMCA of Greater Kansas City
The Y seeks to deliver a weight-loss program with a research-based curriculum that helps individuals get moving, eat healthy, and make lasting lifestyle changes in order to lose weight and reduce the risk for developing chronic diseases.
The program includes:
- 12-week small group programs led by a trained Y healthy living coach
- Personalized goal-setting to develop a unique individualized plan
- Blood pressure and weight monitoring
- Weekly motivational group sessions with peer support and coach-led exercise
- Body fat and muscle mass analysis
- A mobile application that tracks progress and has a secure online chat to get support from other participants and the coach outside of class
The Y seeks to scale an affordable lifestyle change program that reduces the risk of chronic disease to community-based Y centers and makes the program affordable for low-income and uninsured residents. We know taking a more holistic approach to health improves the likelihood that lifestyle change will be achieved. Rather than just a “weight loss program”, the Y’s program includes nutrition counseling, exercise, monitoring blood pressure, and healthy living coaching.
Founded in 1860 as the seventh Y in North America, the YMCA of Greater Kansas City (the Y) has over 159 years of experience in meeting the holistic needs of residents of all ages. The Y is committed to making membership and all programs and services accessible to low-income individuals through financial assistance policies. The Y’s mission: Founded on Christian principles, [The Y] is a charitable organization with an inclusive environment committed to enriching the quality of family, spiritual, social, mental, and physical well-being.